Local Searches: Stake Your Claim
Thanks to Google changing their algorithms, local searches have taken off.
You and your colleagues may have noticed that more local listings are coming up for every search—which is ideal for small glass repair businesses like yours.
So, if you haven’t staked your online claim yet, now is a good time.
Just follow the three steps below:
- Ensure that your physical location is listed on your website (in HTML not a graphic). Even if you are a mobile business, it is critical that you show a location in order to be found in appropriate small business local searches.
- Create a Google Places listing and make it as complete as possible with content about your services, contact information, web address, hours of operation, photos and video. Eye-tracking studies on Google’s SERP (search engine results page) show that users heavily gravitate toward any Places’ listings, whether they are mixed into organic listings or concentrated in a grouping in the middle of a page.
- Build a presence in the main social media outlets for your business, i.e., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google+.
- Retweets on Twitter, Likes on Facebook, blogging and other social sharing can heavily influence search rankings today and search results are becoming more personalized.
Other Helpful Hints
- Check your current online business presence and determine what might be lacking by going to GetListed.org. The site will give you a check list of the key sites that you should claim while establishing your online presence.
- Encourage your customers to recommend your services on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, which will boost your search engine optimization (SEO) efforts further. Besides SEO value, having a presence in the social media outlets can help your lead generation activities as well. Studies reveal that more than 57% of companies have acquired a new customer through LinkedIn.
- As you create content for each listing, make sure it is written with your customers in mind, not robots. Think about what terms (keywords) they will use when conducting local searches and make sure to include those keywords in the listing.
- Another way to draft the right content for your listings is to think about the questions your customers might ask when looking for your service and create content that answers these questions.
Remember, people search—robots help them find the resources they need. Go ahead and stake your claim, so you don’t miss out on local searches that can bring in more customers. Good luck.